Monday, June 6, 2011

Assistive Technology

From the research and video on assistive technology, I found a lot of resources that I already use for my students and new resources that I will be able use with my students in the future. When I first hear the word assistive technology, I thought it had to be something high-tech, but I learned that it does not necessarily have to be high-tech and it can be any item used to help to meet the needs of your students. I learned that I already use simple assistive technologies in my classroom just by allowing my students to listen to stories on tape, letting students use the computer to write their assignments, and displaying pictures from Boardmaker to show students the daily activities they need to complete. Next year I will have more students in my classroom with special needs and I now feel like I have more resources to use to help these students to learn to their full advantage.
New Applications
The first application I found is called Clicker 5.0. It is actually computer software that allows for you to write with whole words, phrases, and even pictures. It is a talking processor that has a Clicker Grid that allows you to hear words before and after you write. It is a great program for people who have difficulty using a mouse/keyboard to use and it also has a range of other options for students to use that struggle with writing. I really think I would be able to use this program in my classroom and think it would be beneficial for younger students who are beginning to learn how to write on computers. Go to Clicker 5.0 to learn more about how you could use this program in your classroom.



  The second application that I found is a talking calculator. This calculator looks like a normal calculator, but it provides speech output with complete number speech or digit-by-digit number speech. I think this would help some of my students who still struggle with place value and it would help younger students with number recognition. For more information about the talking calculator and other math assistive technologies go to http://www.turningpointtechnology.com/Manipulatives/Math.asp

The third application that I found is called BIGtrack, which is a computer mouse with a bigger trackball and separate left and right click buttons. It is helpful for those students who struggle with fine motor control. It would be great for students who are also just learning how to use the computer. A second mouse can be connected to the BIGtrack so another person can participate at the same time. Click on BIGtrack to learn more about this application.


New Locations
While researching, I found two new locations that can be used to learn more about assistive technologies and they also allow you to buy the tools. The website, AbleNet, has many different products that could easily be used in the classroom. One of my favorite products on this website was the battery operated scissors. The other resource, Enabling Devices, also has a wide range of products that you can buy to help meet the needs of your students.

Images used with permission from http://www.turningpointtechnology.com/img/Manip/AC/CALT0101.jpg and http://www.infogrip.com/win_picture.asp?ID=98 

No comments:

Post a Comment