Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Blog 1: Gaming and Education

Being new to fifth grade this year, I had to do a lot of searching on the computer to find games that would help motivate my students. I learned that my students did not really know their basic multiplication and division facts and really needed help on learning them. I found a website (http://www.mathplayground.com/ASB_Index.html) that has many games students can play to help them with math concepts. The one game my students play the most is Drag Race Division. This games allows the students to race against other students in the class, up to four players. They need to answer division problems and the faster they answer the problems, the faster their car moves. The first one across the finish line wins. The students really enjoy this game and are very excited to try to beat the other people in the class. I also like how at the end of the game it posts the student's accuracy and rate on solving the problems and even lists the questions they missed. I really think this is a great game to use in the educational setting and I even hear about how my students like to play this game at home.


Image used with permission from http://www.mathplayground.com/ASB_Index.html

No comments:

Post a Comment